After successfully installing Cacti on my RPi and letting it poll for a few cycles with the default local host device setup, it was apparent that it was a little sluggish. Nothing terribly bad, but obvious when compared to my other deployments, which is understandable considering RPi’s specs.
At first I considered perhaps I had made a mistake not going with lighttpd over apache2, however I quickly found another optimization option….
This tutorial includes some interesting info on reclaiming some RAM reserved for graphics processing…which RPi as a server really doesn’t require.
Continue reading Cacti Pi – Optimized
My Raspberry Pi setup (so far)
2 Raspberry Pi set up as headless servers in beautiful Built-To-Spec cases.
16GB Sandisk SD
Raspbian Wheezy 2012-07-15
Serving Cacti which is monitoring performance of both Pi
16GB Kingston SD
Raspbian Wheezy 2012-08-16
Freshly installed and awaiting lighttpd install to compare against apache2
Wordpress site host
Correcting Cacti Timezone
Battled a super annoying issue with what appeared to be Cacti not displaying graphs, which after half a day of messing around ended up being a timezone setting…..grrrrrrrrrrrr
After discovering Cacti was indeed graphing my expected values, just 4 hours ahead of my local time (EDT, America/Toronto) I realized cacti.log was showing UTC timestamps.
After confirming my Linux system time:
pi@raspberrypi ~ $ date
Fri Aug 17 04:39:13 EDT 2012
I dug around on cacti.net and found instructions on updating php.ini with timezone values:
Continue reading Cacti Pi – Correcting Cacti Timezone